A New Kind of Homecoming

Sophomores Jake Massett (Left) and Leo Mendel (Right) are jousting in the arena

Elliot Ellis

COVID has a tendency to alter plans, whether we, as a school, like it or not. Homecoming is no exception. What would normally be a Saturday afternoon football game followed by an all-high-school dance later that night is now somewhat of a reinvented evening. 

This Thursday, November 12, there will still be a varsity football game against Brazosport Christian at 5 p.m., but that is the only constant from years past. Prior to the football game is a varsity boys soccer game at 4:30 p.m., and following and during the football game there are two basketball games, jv at 5 p.m. and varsity at 6:30. To cap off this sports extravaganza, there is a varsity girls soccer game at 7 p.m. 

All the while there will be a tailgate of sorts that will include food trucks, games, and music in the courtyard. All of these homecoming festivities will be socially distant, of course, but that shouldn’t stop you from seeing almost the entire winter sports department compete. 

Having been accustomed to the traditional homecoming schedule for multiple years now, Emery students provided much needed perspective and insight on this year’s altered evening.  

11th grader Lior Melnikov shared his thoughts on the reinvented homecoming as well as playing a varsity basketball game the same night. “I think it’s a good idea and second option to the fact that we can not have a homecoming dance,” he said. “I do wish that I could come and watch the football game, but because it is not the whole varsity roster playing the whole time I am not sure I will make it. I am excited to play my first basketball game of the season, and I think it gives the students a chance to come to many games for the different sports.” 

Fellow 11th grader Lauren Haas explained her feelings towards homecoming and playing a varsity soccer game as well. “Homecoming this year is definitely different, but I think it can be a lot of fun since we’re having new things like food trucks and activities. It’ll also be good to have the tailgate going on during the game so people can grab food with their friends and then watch the game. Having a soccer game right after will allow students to watch both, so it’ll be fun having fans cheering us on for both football and soccer,” said Haas.  

Lastly, Junior Koby Sheldon offered his perspective on the upcoming night. “I think there won’t be a lot of people showing up to the tailgate due to the lack of athletes. But I think watching the game will be fun.”  

Senior and EBC vice president Simone Newar, a member of the Homecoming planning committee, describes the difference in planning this year’s event to those prior. “In previous years, we’ve had a plan for a dance and come up with specific themes for the dance, but with Covid we obviously have to think about social distancing and taking precautions. We had to plan more carefully for an outdoor event with fun events as well, so we decided to add games and food trucks to the mix which would be a fun twist to Homecoming. We had to reach out to many more vendors and many more companies to try and get their involvement in Homecoming.”

Despite its differences from years past, Homecoming is still a meaningful way to gather the Emery community together while being flexible due to the circumstances. 

***This was published before Homecoming was cancelled. We will provide an update on this issue shortly.