Student of the Month: Maya Friedberg

Reuben Kessler, Reporter

Maya Friedberg is an inspirational, active, and beloved member of the Emery community. Friedberg is known for her roles on the board of many clubs across Emery, including National Honors Society (NHS) and Students Demand Action (SDA) president. Though, she is most well-known for the fact that she tends to take her shoes off while walking the halls of our school “because it’s more comfortable, and it makes [her] feel more grounded.” 

Since coming to Emery in seventh grade, Friedberg has garnered a considerable reputation within the Emery community. One of her closest friends, Elsa Koenig, remarked, “When I think of Maya Friedberg, I think of a passionate, hardworking leader… a committed friend.” Those around Friedberg look up to her as a student and as a member of the community. Another close friend of Friedberg’s, Dylan Kessler, recalled a moment where she showed how generous and supportive of a friend she truly is, “although there are probably many examples of Maya being a kind, giving person and friend, I can remember one moment in particular where she came over when I got my wisdom teeth out to check how I was doing.” 

Maya has been a great contributor to many different clubs at Emery, along with being a part of SDA and NHS; She recently brought in a “4M” speaker to speak about the adversity she faced being an Iranian immigrant in America. 

Outside of school, she was the former president of her chapter in the B’nai B’rith Youth Organization and has been the manager of the Emery 6-man football team for the past few years. She credits her motivation and success inside as well as outside the classroom to her supportive friends and family, who push her to be the best version of herself and run the extra mile. 

There is a genuine reason for Maya Friedberg’s nomination as this year’s first student of the month. Her drive to positively impact her environment at Emery and her kind, honest, and hard-working attitude perfectly embody Emery’s values. This has helped her become an honored and well-liked member of our school community.