A Yom Ha’atzmaut Celebration To Remember

Reuben Kessler, Reporter

Yom Ha’atzmaut, otherwise known as Israel’s independence day, is a day that commemorates the Israeli Declaration of Independence in 1948. This year, Yom Ha’atzmaut was celebrated on the evening of Tuesday, April 25, through the 26th of this year. 

Emery observed this special day with a festive celebration where students could play various games, such as soccer and volleyball, to win fun prizes. This engaging event was put on by the Israel Club, a new club founded at Emery this year dedicated to bringing Israeli culture to Emery. Jake Massett, one of the players on the winning soccer team, said, “It was a great opportunity for the community to have fun with friends and indulge in Israeli culture.” During the celebration, he spent most of his time playing soccer, buying goodies from the shuk, and making tie-dye shirts – three of the many activities offered by Emery’s Israel Club. 

An anonymous senior exclaimed, “I enjoyed the communal celebration, which included the shuk with delicious snacks and the many games set up by the Israel Club.” She was excited to enjoy delicious Israeli snacks like Bissli, a crunchy wheat snack shaped like pasta. One of the most popular snacks in Israel, along with Bamba, is a peanut snack, another popular food item in Israel. 

A member of the Israel Club, Gali Hampel, said, “It was fun to see the Emery community celebrate Israel in an exciting, culturally rich way.” She was excited to put together an event that would see many of Emery’s high school students enjoy themselves while learning more about Israel and its culture. 

Overall, Yom Ha’atzmaut at Emery was an excellent experience for all involved. The Israel club created a fun environment for students and teachers to celebrate Israel and its rich culture.