The 9825

The Student News Site of The Emery/Weiner School

The 9825

The 9825

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Judaism’s Hallmark: Summer Camp

CYJ Midwest

For the Jewish minority, having designated Jewish camps fosters the interconnectedness of seemingly spread-out individuals. Many Jews have proven this true through decades of attendance at a myriad of Jewish summer camps, making it a hallmark of the American-Jewish culture.

The Washington Post finds value in noting the influence Jewish camps have on America, with their recently published piece titled: “Friendships forged, community cemented: The importance of Jewish sleep-away camps.” 

This piece divulges into the history and life-long positive effects of these camps, stating, “Jewish sleep-away camps first arose… in the late 1800s and early 1900s…out of fears that recent European immigrants would assimilate too deeply into American culture and leave their Jewish roots behind. It’s a concern that still exists.” 

While Jews have been on the receiving end of relentless oppression, the religion remains virtuous because of frequent demonstrations of resistance such as participation in summer camps. Though the rationalization for attending Jewish summer camp today isn’t entirely the same as in the nineteenth century, there is still beauty in having a place to gather, celebrate religion, and experience youthful joy. 
The Emery/Weiner School specifically, boasts a plethora of proud “summer camp-ians” ranging from CYJ-Texas, Camp Sabra, Greene Family Camp (GFC), and more. For many students, being sent to live in ancient cabins with little to no A/C in the middle of a heat wave is the most enjoyable way to spend their summer. 

Senior Maddie Risch who has attended Camp Interlaken JCC for seven summers now comments, “It is genuinely [my] favorite place on earth. It’s an environment like no other.” She continues, “The Jewish community built at camp is something so unique. Nothing compares to the feeling of getting ready for Shabbat with your friends and Havdalah services in front of the lake on Saturday nights.”

The connections built between camp friends are bonds like no other. Senior Lauren Miller, a CYJ attendee from third grade to today, acknowledges, “Even though a lot of the people at my camp are students here, there’s something special about coming together to celebrate our religion and life-long friendship during the summer.” 

The opportunity for an enriching summer destination spot is an incredible privilege that thousands of Jewish kids in America have today, which allows them to grow as individuals, establish lifelong friendships, and strengthen their Jewish identity. This home away from home has September students already smelling the scent of fresh challah and burning candles, getting them ready to return in the upcoming summer!