The 9825

The Student News Site of The Emery/Weiner School

The 9825

The 9825

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

The 2023 EWSMUN Conference

This September, the Emery Model United Nations Club (MUN) had the pleasure of hosting another successful EWSMUN conference. 120 delegates from Kinkaid, Hamilton Middle, Bellaire, and the International School of Houston all came together to participate in the event.

EWSMUN featured multiple committees such as the Economic and Social Council, Visitors from Beyond: Alien Invasion, and the World Health Assembly. With topics surrounding fast fashion, a potential alien invasion crisis, and the ethics of gene editing, this conference had a bit of everything

MUN conferences and EWSMUN aim to guide middle and high school students in productive and meaningful debates on pressing global issues, allowing delegates to expand and apply their knowledge of parliamentary procedure and current events. The main purpose of these delegations is to find solutions to these issues. 

Joshua Danziger, senior at The Emery/Weiner School, and MUN board member, notes, “We are incredibly proud that we hosted the second annual EWSMUN which took place on a Sunday to accommodate for those observant for shabbat. We feel as a Jewish school, it is our responsibility to provide these experiences to all Jews and non Jews.” Often times, conferences take place on Saturdays, the holiday of Shabbat, disallowing the observant Jewish community to attend. Danziger, purposefully pushed for the conference to be held on a Sunday so that all could get involved in MUN. 

The conference even had a surprise. Senior Ethan Canfield, MUN President, said, “During our opening ceremonies, EWS alumni Jake Cosgrove, Debbie Lederman, and Alegra Germain, who were the planning committee members of the first EWSMUN conference, created a video to share their insights on MUN and their own experiences from the club.”

Overall, the conference was a big success. So successful, in fact, that the club plans on hosting another conference in the spring. EWS MUN will be hosting another EWSMUN in the spring!