The 9825

The Student News Site of The Emery/Weiner School

The 9825

The 9825

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Meyerland Enterprize: Akiko

Akiko is making headlines across the Emery community. Akiko, a family-owned and operated restaurant that was first opened during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic.  Parents and students praise Akiko For its proximity, affordability, and satisfying taste. Prior to Akiko’s opening, people would have to either travel far or spend a pretty penny for any type of sushi in the Bellaire and Meyerland areas. 

After constantly hearing so much chatter about this restaurant, I decided to see what the buzz was about. I went on a mission to learn if Akiko deserves all this positivity or if it’s just another mediocre Meyerland restaurant. 

When I first opened the door, I was welcomed with the most pleasant smell of fresh rice and fish, mixed with the salty yet sweet aroma of soy sauce. My mouth watered while I was guided to my booth. The employees are hard-working and were genuinely excited to cook and serve me some of the best sushi in Meyerland. 

When flipping through the menu, choosing what to order was more difficult than finishing all the food. Akiko offers dozens of appetizers, an endless catalog of simple rolls, and a plethora of specialty rolls. Beginning my tasteful adventure, I tried the edamame, a perfect appetizer to spark my appetite for the rest of the meal. In the midst of all of these options, the sushi boat immediately caught my eye as it consists of six sushi rolls and four specialty rolls all picked out by the chef, ranging from all types of fish: salmon, crab, shrimp, eel, tuna, and imitation crab. The sushi boat allows newcomers to try multiple different rolls at an affordable price of $80, when the rolls are valued at around $15 each, and feed around six to eight people. I decided I needed to experience this boat and ordered it. When the waiter placed this tour de force on the table, everyone in my party’s eyes immediately lit up as he explained the roles. This time the boat included:  a Spider Roll, a Tiger Eye Roll,  a Philadelphia Roll, a Rainbow Roll, an Aikko Roll,  a Lion King Roll, an Amazing Tuna Roll, a Houston Roll, Crazy Salmon Roll, and a Crunch Roll. All the rolls were created to perfection, the salmon melted in my mouth, the seaweed was the perfect mix between salty and crunchy, the rice was the perfect texture, and the shrimp tempura added the perfect crunch. The sushi was the perfect consistency where it would not fall apart when dunking it into the soy sauce bath or when picking it up. The flavors perfectly blended together creating a tasteful concoction in my mouth. None of the flavors overpowered over one another, rather complementing one another.

While Akiko is not the most mind-blowing sushi in town, after experiencing the restaurant for myself, I can confidently say that Akiko’s affordable price, homey atmosphere, and excellent quality of food make the perfect recipe for a pleasant and memorable experience. I would recommend it to anyone, and certainly understand why the Emery community loves this restaurant so much.