The 9825

The Student News Site of The Emery/Weiner School

The 9825

The 9825

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

How Art Brings Emery Together

While the crowd, the lights, the curtain, the art, and the music featured annually at Emery’s Evening of the Arts event are great, it is the students that are what make it truly spectacular. The Evening of the Arts occurs once a year,showcasing Emery’s modern-day Picassos and Mozarts to parents,friends, and the community at large.

The night began with walks around the art gallery observing portraits and abstracts. This art exhibition was truly something else.  Paintings belonging to sixth graders, who were participating in their first evening of the arts, were hung up next to seniors showcasing their greatest final work of high school, in a true full circle moment. The same special connection can be seen on the stage as the audience moved to Becker Theatre for an array of performances from the middle schoolers and high schoolers, many of whom, performed side by side Evening of the Arts is truly special because the program, at its core, provides a space for every student and staff member to showcase their unique talents all together in an amazing representation of our school’s diversity, creativity, and love for the arts.

Even though the audience only sees fantastic performances in their final form, the performers and artists have put in countless hours of drafts and rehearsals. Students spend the entire day before the big night setting up their paintings and interactive art pieces to make sure they are displayed beautifully for all those that come to see them. Student performers spent hours setting up lights,instruments, and rehearsing their songs and dances. Olivia Plantowsky, a senior in AP art has spent the last six months working on her dream-themed portfolio in preparation for this big night. Plantowsky shared that“it’s such a fun night, and we love getting to share our love for art with the whole school.” Her passion for this event is clear and shared amongst all participating students and staff, and it is this attitude that truly makes this night special for everyone involved.

The impact that Evening of the Arts leaves on its audience is a powerful one. The days following the performances are filled with chatter about the wonderful art and songs they experienced. Josh Danziger, Emery senior, who was in the audience, recalled how he “ had so much fun he had watching his friends sing and dance”. Teachers and all of the faculty have the opportunity to see their students outside of class watching them flourish in their prospective art. 

This year’s Evening of the Arts left everyone who attended with a big smile and a new profound love for art. This program continues to be a space where creativity shines and people get to express themselves through their art. If you happen to miss this year’s Evening of the Arts, don’t worry cause it’ll be back before you know it next year, so be sure to mark your calendars and check it out!