The 9825

The Student News Site of The Emery/Weiner School

The 9825

The 9825

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

The Power Within The “Power of We”

The Emery/Weiner School

Laser lights flash throughout the auditorium, shining on the teachers sitting quietly in the back of the Becker Theater. Amid swirling colors and shapes, a phrase appears on the walls…the “Power of We.” The light show ends, and Stuart Dow, Emery/Weiner’s Head of School, makes his way onto the stage. Applause erupts as the student body is filled with wonder and curiosity while they process the school year’s theme. 

All returning Emery students and faculty know that each school year has a carefully selected theme that is much more than just an excuse for a new spirit shirt. The theme is repeated throughout the school year and determines the focus of the community’s values. “Dream Big,” “Hineni”, “E – Energy, Empathy, Excellence,” and “Strength and Silver Linings” are a few that have existed throughout Emery’s recent history, with the “Power of We” being the newest addition. 

The Emery difference, a phrase commonly mentioned throughout the year, is an overarching statement that alludes to Emery’s uniqueness and individuality. When looking at the Emery website, this term can be defined as the school’s “profound sense of inclusion, connectedness, and community, among and between students and faculty — regardless of individual differences.” Through this definition, it is clear that the “Power of We” is not a new idea but one that draws on pre-existing Emery values. 

Student Body president Audrey Hochglaube spoke at opening ceremonies about what the “Power of We” means to her, using personal experience to highlight Emery’s supportive environment. She shares, “I struggle to pinpoint a specific moment where I utilized the ‘Power of We’ because I am always utilizing my community, sometimes directly and sometimes inadvertently. While my pastimes feel independent, I am surrounded by a supportive community in every independent choice I make, and that is when I feel the ‘Power of We’ the most.” 

Whether it be shown through Ma’amads, school trips, clubs, or sports, it is undeniable that the value of community has a strong presence at Emery. Simply walking through the halls of the Upper School, one can see students chatting, laughing, and exchanging waves, so it often feels as if everyone here knows everyone. Emery’s close-knit environment allows every student to feel connected and uplifted by all of those around them. Therefore, it is clear that the introduction of “The Power of We” this school year was done to serve as a reminder of the strength, support, and happiness, students gain by merely being a part of the Emery community.