The 9825

The Student News Site of The Emery/Weiner School

The 9825

The 9825

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

New Coach, New Team

Emery Volleyball

This year, Emery/Weiner Volleyball players are delighted to be working with new head coach: Jocelyn Mahayag. Mahayag has years of experience playing at Georgia State and coaching volleyball and she is proving a promising new addition to Emery’s coaching staff. Before Emery, Mahayag led the vollyball team at Steven’s Institute of Technology in Hoboken, New Jersey. 

When asked why she moved schools, Mahayag explained how she chose Emery for, “the people and the atmosphere; everyone is super caring.” 

Mahayag has the intent of rebuilding Emery’s volleyball program from the ground up to establish winning teams and an excelling program. Mahayag has experience and a solid foundation from her days of playing the sport, including being the defensive specialist of a highly regarded club team, and hopefully she can utilize these attributes to  lead the team to an amazing season.

Having played a lot through highschool and college, Mahayag is a highly motivated coach that, “teaches them life lessons on and off the court.” The team has been doing much better than previous Emery teams with a record of 3-3 at the beginning of the season, and with Mahayag’s leadership they hope to continue to succeed and show the Emery community how amazing the Volleyball team can be. 

Many of the players like having a younger coach they can rely on, “Coach has supported us throughout our season so far and I love the connections we have all made with her,” Senior, Ava Cotta says. 

The volleyball team is gearing up for a great season with Mahayag as their leader. With collegiate level experience, Mahayag has all the tools for the best season of Volleyball yet.