The 9825

The Student News Site of The Emery/Weiner School

The 9825

The 9825

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Wolverines Claw All Over the Huskies

The Detroit News

Michigan sits atop the college football world once more after smothering the University of Washington Huskies in a decisive 34-13 win that echoed their season-long mantra of “Michigan vs. Everybody.”

After edging out both of their semifinal matchups by just one score in the College Football Playoffs (CFP), the Michigan Wolverines, the number one seed, and Washington Huskies, the number two seed, embarked on the culminating week, the championship, of the 2023-2024 season. With stars on both sides leading the way, the game seemed balanced for either team to emerge victorious. 

On the one hand, Washington, known for their robust offense, boasted the runner-up for the Heisman Trophy, an award for the most outstanding player in college football, Micheal Penix Jr., who led Washington to an undefeated 14-0 record and torched opponents through his pass attack. Penix’s offensive weapons included top receivers Jalen McMillan and Rome Odunze, who finished with a combined 2,100 yards and were ranked 1st and 3rd, respectively, out of all wide receivers in the conference.

As for Michigan, their “bread and butter” came in the form of their dominant rushing attack led by Senior Blake Corum, who topped over 25 touchdowns across the season, and punctuated by an offensive line that only allowed 20 sacks over their 14 games. In tandem with their running ability, junior quarterback J.J. McCarthy led the Wolverines’ air attack with poise, providing a formulaic balance to their offense.

However, as game day rolled around and the opening kickoff ensued, the unsung heroes shined when the lights were brightest, especially in Michigan blue and yellow. Junior running back Donovan Edwards broke out for a career night, and a previously shaky Wolverine defense stonewalled the nation’s top offense. Regulated to a secondary position behind top back Blake Corum all season, Donovan Edwards was a “secret weapon” coming into the championship game; however, by the end, everyone knew his name. On two separate Michigan possessions, Edwards torched the Huskies’ defense for carries of 41 and 46-yard touchdowns and racked up over 100 yards in total, coming as a season-high. Defensively, many believed the Wolverines would have a tough night against Penix and his receivers, but they excelled, neutralizing the Huskies’ pass attack. Washington had just one touchdown all night, and Michigan overwhelmed Penix into throwing two interceptions, one of which sealed the deal as Michigan regained possession with just 4:29 left in the fourth quarter. From there, Michigan scored again to cap off their 17-3 second-half run and close the books on a spectacular undefeated 15-0 season with a ring to match.