The 9825

The Student News Site of The Emery/Weiner School

The 9825

The 9825

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Chiefs Dynasty Leave The 49ers Searching for Answers

Timothy A. Clary

The Kansas City Chiefs pried their way to win the pinnacle of the football world once again as they edged out a mere 3-point overtime victory against the San Francisco 49ers, completing their year-long goal of attaining back-to-back championships.

Leading up to Super Bowl 58, both teams proved their capabilities in the Conference Championship rounds, where the Chiefs and 49ers were seen as underdogs but pulled through in decisive victories. This set the stage for the 2024 Super Bowl, which involved the league’s best talent it had to offer.

For the Kansas City Chiefs, at the helm is the best player in the NFL, quarterback Patrick Mahomes, who, with already two Super Bowl victories and two MVP awards, is shaping up to be the next G.O.A.T. of the modern NFL. Leading the way as Mahomes’s top weapon is tight end Travis Kelce, who is regarded as the NFL’s best at his position as he has racked up four first-team All-Pro selections. At running back, the Chiefs present a high-end sophomore running back in the form of Isiah Pacheco with a stout offensive line to match. Surprisingly, though, the Chiefs, known for their unstoppable offense, are led by a top-notch defense that only surrenders around 200 passing yards per game and is guided by All-Pro cornerback L’Jarius Sneed, who only allowed one touchdown all season.

Standing in their way, though, is the San Francisco 49ers, who are littered with skilled players across their defense and offense. Manning the helm of the offense, though, is sophomore quarterback  Brock Purdy, whose job is simple – minimize turnovers and get the ball into the hands of the playmakers. These playmakers are the best in the game and include the likes of five-star receivers Brandon Aiyuk and Deebo Samuels, with tight end George Kittle helping them steamroll defenses. This season, the trio combined for over 3,200 receiving yards and 20 touchdowns, which made up almost a third of the 49ers’ total pass attack. All of this goes without mentioning the league’s best running back, Christian McCaffrey, who dominated both the rushing and receiving side of the offense as he bolstered over 1,450 rushing yards and seven receiving touchdowns this season.

However, on the anticipated Super Bowl Sunday, destinies collided on the field, and a heavy-weight defensive battle ensued, each team stifling the other’s offense. The 49ers managed to break the tie by just a minute into the second quarter, and from there, they began to adapt as their star-studded offense went 67 yards, and McCaffrey capped it off with the first touchdown of the game, giving them a 10-0 lead. However, the Chiefs got a field goal of their own to go into half only down 10-3. After another field goal and Mahomes touchdown, the Chiefs led by three points going into the final quarter. Following a methodical drive by Brock Purdy to put the 49ers up by 6, their extra point was blocked, resulting in just a 16-13 49ers lead, which would come back to haunt them. As the fourth quarter went on, the game went back and forth as both teams traded field goals, and with 10 seconds left in regulation, the Chiefs nailed a game-tying field goal, sending the Super Bowl to overtime for just the second time in NFL history. After winning the coin toss, the 49ers elected to receive, and following impressive catches by Brandon Aiyuk and Christian McCaffrey, the 49ers were in striking range at the Chief’s nine-yard line. Except as Purdy dropped back to throw a miscue in the offensive line allowed top edge rusher Chris Jones an open lane to the quarterback and disrupted a possible touchdown throw. From there, the 49ers kicked a field goal, giving the ball back to Patrick Mahomes with over seven minutes left, practically eliminating their possibility of a Super Bowl victory. With the ball and time, Mahomes made play after play, taking the Chiefs down to the 13-yard line, where he found his top receiver of the night, Mchole Hardman, for his second touchdown and the season-sealing play. 

Now, 49ers fans are only left to wonder “what if” after watching their team meltdown in the most critical moments by missing an extra point that would have prevented the game from going to overtime and a pass block that could have kept Mahomes from ending their season.