The 9825

The Student News Site of The Emery/Weiner School

The 9825

The 9825

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

A Swift Surprise

Valerie Macon via Getty Images

Taylor Swift loved leaving her fans hints and clues as to what is to come. So much so that fans, known as Swifties, often overthink her every move and attempt to guess her intensive planning, yet they are often entirely incorrect. The Grammys, hosted on Feb. 4, are a prime example of Swifties having the wrong idea of Swift’s masterminding.

Swift has been re-recording and releasing albums since 2021, beginning with “Fearless (Taylor’s Version)” and ever since Swifties consistently wait breathlessly for the next release of another beloved album. There are only two albums that Swift has not re-recorded, that being her self-entitled “Taylor Swift” debut album, and her infamous “Reputation” album. 

On the night of The Grammys, all signs pointed toward Swift announcing the upcoming release of “Reputation (Taylor’s Version).” She had changed her profile picture to a black-and-white edition of her recently released “Midnights” which is the color scheme commonly associated with the Reputation era. Swift’s website contained a self-encrypted error, showing the entire screen in black and white. Many of Swift’s outfits contained a dark green color commonly associated with the snake imagery seen during her Reputation era. Everything was lining up for the highly anticipated announcement and fans were buzzing. Then, everything came to a pinnacle when Swift appeared on the Grammy’s red carpet wearing a stunning black and white dress and jewelry mimicking that of the Reputation era. There was no Swiftie who was not 100 percent sure of the “Reputation (Taylor’s Version)” announcement coming that night. 

All fans watched the award show in intense anticipation, unsure how Swift would announce the new album, as she is known as an elaborate planner and very specific about her album announcements. It was then time for the award for Best Pop Vocal Album, and Swift’s “Midnights” was up against Kelly Clarkson’s “Chemistry,” Miley Cyrus’ “Endless Summer Vacation,” Olivia Rodrigo’s “Guts,” and Ed Sheeran’s “Minus.” When Swift’s name was announced as the winner, all fans froze, filled with immense pride and excitement for Swift’s win, as well as the announcement of “Reputation (Taylor’s Version).” Swift got to the microphone stand, the Grammy award in her hand, the entire fanbase’s anticipatory eyes on her, and said the words: “I want to say thank you to the fans, by telling you a secret that I’ve been keeping from you for the last two years. Which is that my brand new album comes out on April 19, and it’s called ‘The Tortured Poet’s Department.’ Thank you!”

For fans, the entire world froze, their minds filled with confusion over how Swift managed to entirely convince them of “Reputation’s” rerelease. However, after all the confusion died, fans were only left extremely excited for the release of an entirely new album, and in awe of Swift’s extraordinary brilliance. 

Swift went on that night to unexpectedly win another award for Album of the Year, making her the first artist in history to do so a total of three times. Needless to say, it was a night to remember for Swift and her entire fanbase as we sit and prepare to join Swift in “The Tortured Poets Department.”