The 9825

The Student News Site of The Emery/Weiner School

The 9825

The 9825

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

From Rookies to Contenders

ClutchPoints

Coming off their impressive 2023 campaign, the Houston Texans had their foundation set with rookie sensations C.J. Stroud and Will Anderson Jr., prompting General Manager Nick Caserio to solidify his squad as Super Bowl contenders. 

The Texans exceeded all expectations in 2023 with a record of 10-3, clinching a playoff berth after having the second-worst record in the NFL the previous season. On top of an impressive winning season, they also took home some hardware with first-year Coach Demeco Ryans receiving NFL Coach of the Year and Quarterback C.J. Stroud and Will Anderson Jr. sweeping both the Offense and Defensive Rookie of the Year awards. 

Nick Caserio knew he had some holes to fill with notable players Dalton Schultz, Jonathan Greenard, Sheldon Rankins, and Devin Singletary on expiring contracts. The Texans finished the 2024 season ranked an unimpressive 28th in total rushing yards, and with leading back Singeltary on an expiring contract, Caserio knew he would have to prioritize the running back position in free agency. Additionally, knowing the Houston defense was one of the worst passing defenses in the league last year, Caserio knew he needed to bolster his front line.

The Texans entered free agency with lots of buzz as the team was a few pieces away from overtaking Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs for the Vince Lombardi Trophy. With notable running backs like Saquon Barkley and D’Andre Swift set to hit the market, fans expected the Texans to hit the market early on day one. However, that was not the case. High-profile players like Barkley and Swift swiftly got swept away on lavish deals with the Philadelphia Eagles and Chicago Bears. Instead on day one, Houston opted to make low-profile deals with the signings of Lonnie Johnson, Denico Autry, Azeez Al-Shaair, and former third-overall pick Jeff Okudah. 

Houston came out swinging on Day 2 of free agency, trading for All-Pro running back Joe Mixon from the Cincinnati Bengals for a seventh-round pick. Mixon will address the team’s running back needs while bringing much-needed experience to the Texan’s young core. Mixon rushed for 1,034 yards last season with nine touchdowns. Caserio is looking for Mixon to serve as a safety blanket for C.J. Stroud in the passing game. 

Caserio directly addressed the need for a defensive lineman on Day 4 with the signing of Danielle Hunter on a two-year $49 million contract. The four-time Pro Bowler is feared around the league, totaling 16.5 sacks last year with Minnesota. The pairing of Defensive Rookie of the Year Will Anderson Jr. and Danielle Hunter will leave teams terrified.

Last but certainly not least, the Texans traded for All-Pro wide receiver Stefon Diggs nearly a month later. Houston received Diggs along with a fifth and sixth-round draft pick from Buffalo in exchange for a second-round pick. Diggs is regarded as a top receiver in the league, averaging about 1,400 receiving yards per year over the past four seasons with Buffalo. Caserio looks to create a three-headed monster with Stefon Diggs, Nico Collins, and Tank Dell at receiver.

The Texans’ incredible offseason has fans across the country in shock. The Texans’ newly revamped offense with Joe Mixon and Stefon Diggs paired with key defensive additions Danielle Hunter and Azeez Al-Shaair is primed to make a run this upcoming season. Nick Caserio has elevated the Texans roster from good to exceptional; the challenge is to bring a Super Bowl trophy to Houston.